Earlier this week Twitter announced a raft of new statistics about its users, leading on its 100 million strong base of active users.
This, as The Guardian notes, sees it approach MySpace’s peak level. It also confirms Twitter’s status as a mainstream social network (not that there was much doubt about that).
To help continue its growth Twitter has its sights set on Asia and will launch language support for Hindi, Filipino, Malay and Simplified and Traditional Chinese over the next few weeks.
The new stats show that five years after launch Twitter:
• Has 100 million active users
• More than half of these user log in on a daily basis
• 55% of active users access Twitter through mobile platforms and apps
• A large proportion of users don’t want to tweet – 40% of active users only use Twitter to follow other people’s tweets
• There are 400 million monthly visitors to Twitter.com