Archive for category Social Media
There are many, many joys to being a parent, but trying to police your children’s ‘screen time’ is, it’s fair to say, not one of them.
As they move seamlessly from television to smartphone to tablet to laptop (and, given half a chance, back again), what started out as being cute has accelerated into a never-ending quest to find that sweet-spot where you don’t feel they’re spending all their time in front of a screen.
Add social media to the mix as they get older and it’s even more of a minefield, as age limitations are circumvented and duplicate accounts created in a bid to fool parents. Read the rest of this entry »
The world’s largest taxi company Uber owns no vehicles, begins an oft-quoted observation from 2015 on the digital disrupter and its peers Facebook (no content), Alibaba (no inventory) and Airbnb (no real estate).
Fast forward to the last couple of months and there are increasing signs that disruption will no longer absolve you of real-world responsibilities.
Notably Uber – ownership of vehicles or not – was found to be a transportation service in a strict, legally enforceable way by the EU’s top court, opening it up national regulation across Europe. Read the rest of this entry »
The central role of social media in the consumption and spread of news – not to mention shaping the news agenda itself – is well established.
It’s hard to imagine now, but at its launch Google+ was seriously considered as a rival for Facebook, though, given the ubiquity of Facebook and Twitter, it’s perhaps just as hard for some to remember Google+ exists.
In a recent study of US teenagers’ social media habits (where Instagram is vying with Facebook as the most popular platform) Google+ didn’t even register, and that’s far from being the only study in which it did not feature. Read the rest of this entry »
Last week I happened upon a live performance by the London Contemporary Orchestra of Steve Reich’s hypnotic and moving Different Trains.
Broadcast via Facebook Live from Edge Hill station in Liverpool, the stream – which can be viewed at the end of this post – attracted around 1,800 viewers from around the world, and has so far been viewed over 143,000 times. Read the rest of this entry »
UK millennials are Europe’s heaviest users of social media, according to new research by comScore.
The research company takes a pretty broad definition of the generation that currently fascinates advertisers the most, bracketing them as 18-34 year olds. Read the rest of this entry »
You are currently browsing the archives for the Social Media category.
Subscribe via RSS
- Millennial make their own language for digital communication
- The antimicrobial resistance threat and the potential of the human microbiome
- How much ‘screen time’ should kids have? (And is social media bad for their health?)
- Reuters launches publishing ‘community’
- Digital Music roundup: Facebook, Napster, SoundCloud, streaming music growth
- Hitting the local national nature reserve for a lunchtime walk #workingfromhome #nature #freshairDelighted to have joined Paul Tunnah and the team at pharmaphorum today as Creative Director for their healthcare content consultancy arm pharmaphorum connect #pharmaGreat music (but the video’s all over the place), Arun Ghosh at The Jazz CafeSaid goodbye to the lovely people at PMGroup today, ahead of starting something new and exciting on MondayThanks Bayer UK for the Baylab tour. Great way to change kids’ perceptions of science (not least with >2,500 through the doors in the first year) #science #scienceteacher #schoolscience #learning @bayerofficial @bayerbaylabsNHS England’s Peter Huskinson at IQVIA’s UK Market Access Summit: We’re moving into a new era of how we work with #pharma
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Bayer looks to leverage AI across the pharma value chain March 21, 2018
- Investing in digital could 'unlock £22bn' for UK pharma March 15, 2018
- 'Femtech' poised to explode, with applications set to trigger healthcare disruption March 9, 2018
- BenevolentAI claims AI first with new Cambridge facility March 8, 2018
- Diagnostics firm Diaceutics signs AI collaboration with Lenovo and Intel March 7, 2018
- Otsuka rewards digital health startup NeuroFlow March 7, 2018